F1oversteer.com

Guenther Steiner outlines what would be ‘strange’ for Valtteri Bottas to do after Sauber exit

Valtteri Bottas’ time in Formula 1 looks to be coming to an end following the news of his departure from Sauber at the end of the 2024 season.

The Finn and teammate Zhou Guanyu have failed to score points after 21 Grand Prix in 2024, with that looking unlikely to change in the final three races based on current performance. Both drivers will leave the team after Abu Dhabi after failing to convince Audi to keep them onboard for the future.

Sauber had already signed experienced Nico Hulkenberg to the team for 2025 on a multi-year deal and had been linked with several drivers over the last few months. Bottas had been the favourite to retain his seat, but Mattia Binotto opted to sign Gabriel Bortoleto over the Finn as he wanted a young talent in their line-up.

Guenther Steiner looks on in the paddock ahead of the F1 Grand Prix of Netherlands at Circuit Zandvoort on August 24, 2024 in Zandvoort, Netherlands.
Photo by Kym Illman/Getty Images

Bortoleto’s signing likely means Bottas will not be on the grid for the 2025 season, as he is probably nowhere near the conversation of joining Visa Cash App RB next season – with that seat likely to go to Liam Lawson, William star Franco Colapinto or Isack Hadjar.

The 35-year-old is being linked with a becoming a reserve driver for 2025, as well as a move to other motorsport categories. With the former being the stronger rumour surrounding the Finn, Guenther Steiner think Bottas will not go down that route.

Guenther Steiner says it would be ‘strange’ for Valtteri Bottas to become a reserve driver in 2025

Bottas is reportedly in talks with Mercedes about becoming their reserve driver for 2025 behind George Russell and new signing Kimi Antonelli.

READ MORE: Sauber driver Valtteri Bottas’ life outside F1 from girlfriend to wine and gin

It has even been suggested that the Finn’s future with the Silver Arrows could lie outside the cockpit, as Christian Fittipaldi says Bottas could take an advisor role alongside Toto Wolff.

But for former Haas boss Steiner, speaking with Champ1, it would be ‘strange’ for Bottas to take up a reserve role, and the 59-year-old does not believe ‘he will do that anymore.’

“I would find it kind of strange that Valtteri returns as a reserve driver. I mean, I think he’s employed as a development driver as an ambassador and in the simulator development.

“But he comes to the race track every weekend and waits for something to happen. I don’t think Valtteri does that anymore. I don’t think he will do that anymore.”

Valtteri Bottas would provide great experience to Mercedes’ young sensation Kimi Antonelli

Much is being made of Mercedes’ 2025 driver pairing as Italian teenager Antonelli joins Russell as Lewis Hamilton’s replacement, after the seven-time champion confirmed his move to Ferrari back in February.

Russell is currently beating Hamilton in the drivers’ standings heading into the Las Vegas Grand Prix and will be made team leader in the 2025 season after the latter’s exit. Antonelli, who currently finishing his debut season in Formula 2, is being pitted against the 26-year-old, with high expectations being placed on him before his arrival.

READ MORE: Who is 2025 Mercedes driver Andrea Kimi Antonelli? Everything to know

The 18-year-old has made two appearances in FP1 in 2024, coming at his home Grand Prix at Monza – where he crashed after just 10 minutes – and at Mexico City. The pressure on the young talent is immense, with Toto Wolff optimistic that Antonelli can beat Hamilton in 2025.

The addition of Bottas as a reserve driver, as strange as it may be for Steiner, would certainly be a welcome one for Antonelli, as the Finn can provide him a wealth of experience and guidance during what will certainly be a learning year in F1 next season.

Related Posts

Source

Leave feedback about this

  • Quality
  • Price
  • Service

PROS

+
Add Field

CONS

+
Add Field
Choose Image
Choose Video