Grass fires at the Suzuka Circuit are continuing to cause chaos during the Japanese Grand Prix weekend as qualifying faced similar delays to the second and third practice sessions.
The first disruptions came on Friday when the second free practice session was red-flagged four times, with two of these caused by grass fires beside the track.
Free Practice Three had another two red flags for the same issue, and more recently, Q2 was brought to a stop with eight minutes on the clock as another fire erupted.
Speaking ahead of qualifying, Williams team chief James Vowles urged the FIA to resolve the issue. He explained to Sky Sports F1:
“So definitely, we spoke to the FIA at the end of that one,” he said. “I mean, no one wants these, and it’s the same for everyone. It’s the best way I can put it—it’s down to us to make sure that we don’t get caught out.
“No, no, we can’t change any of that [the skid plates]. No, I think… wetting the track, definitely. But I think they have to look at other measures before we get into qualifying.”
Suzuka fires: What the FIA has said so far
After the fires on Friday, an FIA spokesperson stated:
“While we continue to look into the fires that occurred during FP2, our focus before tomorrow will be on taking preemptive measures.
Lance Stroll, Aston Martin Racing
Photo by: Jayce Illman – Getty Images
“The grass has been cut as short as possible, and loose, dried grass has been removed from affected areas.
“Prior to tomorrow’s sessions, the grass will be dampened, and specific response teams will be stationed around the track.”
Commenting after the fires returned in FP3, the FIA claimed that “all available time and resources will be focused on further dampening the grass before the session.”
The latest update has come with the qualifying fires, which added:
“Grass fire on the inside of 130R. Given there’s 8:30 left on the clock, it’s been decided to red flag the session and resume once the fire has been put out and the area watered again.”
Leave feedback about this